Steel framing is a construction method where steel columns and beams are assembled using a variety of fasteners usually in a rectilinear fashion to create a support for floors, roofs, etc. to purposefully construct a building. While steel frame construction is predominantly used for large, simple structures, such as garages and warehouses, there has been an increase in its usage in a wide range of other types of developments, such as offices, schools and even residential properties.
There are several distinct advantages that steel frame construction offers when compared to brick, concrete and timber constructions.
1) Because of its high strength to weight ratio structural, steel components are stronger and more durable than their concrete counterpart. The strength and flexibility of steel frames allow them to withstand the effects of natural disasters such as hurricanes, earthquakes which are a part of our regular weather system and do create planning challenges for our region.
2) Steel frames can be easily fabricated into different sizes while still retaining the strength properties. They can be customized to bear specific loads in buildings of all different types and sizes and allows for creative and innovative designs.
3) Steel frame construction’s fire ratings can be improved and well managed, thereby reducing the risk of fire damage to the building and retarding the spread of a fire if it does occur.
4) Structural steel components are insusceptible to the harmful effects of insects and other animals. Effects which can cause significant problems for timber structures that are not properly treated.
5) Steel frames are prefabricated off-site to fit a certain specification before being sent to the construction site. Because of this they are immediately ready to be assembled. No curing times are required to add to construction periods.
6) Steel framed construction can provide competitive construction cost rates and in fact for low rise commercial construction does provide better rates than its counterparts.
If you are in the planning stages of a development and want help deciding whether steel frame construction is a good choice for you get in touch with an engineer today.