Is your home and environs damp? Dampness can result in the formation of mold on your walls, furniture and window frames causing them to get rotten. Mold is a type of fungi developed from airborne spores. It usually grows in damp, warm conditions with little airflow. This can have adverse effects on the body causing increase risk of respiratory illnesses. If you do have mold, the first thing to do is find the source in order to get rid of it.
Condensation is one of the main causes of dampness in the home. It mainly occurs during cold weather regardless of a presence or absence of rain. When the air gets colder and it can no longer hold back all the moisture in the atmosphere, tiny droplets appear causing the surface to be damp.
To avoid condensation:
- Ensure that your home is well ventilated. Keep windows opened as much as possible and as wide as possible to maintain a balanced atmosphere.
- Create less moisture. Certain activities we do daily produce a lot of moisture. When cooking keep pots and pans covered, and avoid unnecessary over boiling. When doing the laundry it is best that clothes are hanged outside to dry.
Other Causes of Dampness:
- Leaking pipes and faucets – ensure that your pipe system is properly maintained.
- Holes or cracks in the roof – rain water can sip through these spaces and enter the home without your knowledge. Always check for leaks and have them fixed as soon as possible.
- Window entrance – while it is wise to have windows opened as much as possible to allow proper ventilation, naturally they need to be closed when rain falls to prevent water from entering.
If mold has already taken effect, the following things can be done to rectify the situation:
- Use a solution of chlorine bleach and water. For the best results use a ratio of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. If you cannot acquire these substances use a household detergent with bleach as an active ingredient.
- When scrubbing the affected areas use a stiff-bristled brush, rinse thoroughly and dry.
- Ensure that you wear protective eye-wear, gloves, and a face-mask. Making physical contact with the mold can be harmful.
- While cleaning mold, open all the windows to the room or use a fan in the room if possible.
- Purchase specialized products – anti-microbial sprays and anti-mildew paints can reduce the chance of mold development.
Have you had a problem with mold infestation? What did you do to solve it?